create aaf from single OP1a mxf file

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
ring4life70

Re: create aaf from single OP1a mxf file

Post by ring4life70 »

Hi emcodem all three files if imported on avid are correctly linked to the TEST AAF.mxf on my desktop, the problem is that audio tracks are presents but mute and on my Avid bin the linked file is alway called Mob as you can see in the screenshot, and not TEST AFF ( original file name of my mxf )
Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 22.30.36.png
Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 22.30.36.png (31.52 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

ring4life70 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 pm Ops ! sorry Momocampo I totally loose your question, so UME work like the MXF media files folder, when a new file is moved in the UME folder, Avid scan the UME folder and create on it the two database file, msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb, so basically now is possible to edit directly an xdcam mxf op1a or an apple pro res mov, like as an Op-atom file, and like as the op-atom file is not possible to link via AMA a file in the MXF folder (or in this case UME folder), the only way to import it on your bin is to use Media tool, or import the .mdb file present on your UME media folder on your bin, I don't like this workflow because when you have a lot of files in the media folder, to use media tool or to import .mdb is no more convenient, in my opinion a possible functional solution is to create a workflow that move OP1a file in the UME folder and create an aaf link to this file, to simple find it, the same workflow that I use for the classic OP-atom files.
Hehe don't worry Ring4, it was ok ;)
OkI hope I understood what you said. So with the UME folder, the files that were considered as linked files are now considered opatom files by AVID ? Therefore, the "linked files" don't exist anymore? Right?
If I'm right, it is interesting indeed and I know why you want to avoid the media tool :D
I really have to try that but I really hate the Avid new design :cry:
cheers ;)
B.
ring4life70

Post by ring4life70 »

yes momocampo is right, if the file is copied or moved in the Avid MediaFiles\UME\1 are considered like as an OP-atom file, for all the files out of this folder (use non native supported) you can continue to use the link option. Another very interesting thing is the possibility to create video mixdown directly in Mxf op1a, yes i think you should to try it, there are interesting things to test :-)
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

OK thanks. Yes, I will try this.
Last question, can you, as atom files, delete only audio steams or only video stream from a bin? I don't think so but I ask anyway.
:)
ring4life70

Post by ring4life70 »

No momocampo is not possible because video and audio essences are embedded in the same single op1a mxf, or mov
here below an example of the Avid Mediafiles folder
Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 20.00.26.png
Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 20.00.26.png (246.02 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

OK it makes sense.
Thanks for all these informations, I'm gonna try that soon.
;)
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

OK, so lets try to take care about the audio problems.
Can u try this and tell me your results please? In difference to all files before, i did set the value for "audio length" of each track to 125 instead of 0.
TEST AAF_length125.aaf
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
ring4life70

Post by ring4life70 »

hi emcodem, and thanks again

with this new AAF, the file name in the bin is alway mob, but now in the file is present the first audio frame, the problem now is that If I move the mxf file from the Desktop to the UME folder, and try to relink the mxf using the aaf file, Avid crash, I don't think this is a problem related to your aaf, because I have the same issue if I try to link the mxf file using my old original aaf ( the first uploaded on your folder).
Now I've uploaded always in the same folder another AAF, called "TEST_AAF_from UME folder.aaf", this aaf is linked always to the same mxf, but now located in the UME folder, with this aaf I don't have any issues, I don't know if is better to use this aaf as reference for the new aaf creation.
ring4life70

Post by ring4life70 »

Hi emcodem, any news about the new test File ?

Thanks again
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Yeah sorry for the silence, too much to do at the moment ^^
The next task on this takes a while, about 2 hours or such (instead of some minutes as the other tasks did :D), hope i can do this tomorrow, if not it will fall into next week i fear...
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?