Filter | Interlacing

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
taner

Filter | Interlacing

Post by taner »

Hi Admin-Team,

I have a question.
Concerning the Interlacing filter.
At first: it is a very very nice and promising feature which I would love to integrate into my a/v-check-workflows.
Very nice is getting information about scantype not only from metadata but from analyzing.
I have played a little bit around.
Created a messy file.
Let it analyze.
Got a score of 34.
Did expect such a low score.
Said to myself: very good, in the documentation it is said that as higher the number of "confident" is the analyzer got it right.
In such a case of 34 I would expect that there has happened something wrong with file conversion and I have to check the file.
But ...
When I analyzed a file which was consolidated into Avid, keeping it natively, kept the Avid Project Settings same as original and exported the file with same scantype I would expect to get a score of 100.
But that did not happen.
Aaaaand: are there any real world values where I could say to myself "ah ok, 95 is a value where I should not be worried about the media"?

Maybe I'm thinking in the wrong direction about the correct usage of the filter.

Best
Taner
admin
Site Admin

Re: Filter | Interlacing

Post by admin »

Hi Taner,

The interlace analyzer need moving video in order to detect interlacing. If you have parts of the video with little or no movement it's very difficult for the filter to distinguish between progressive and interlaced video. Most video have some mix of moving and non moving parts so a score of 100% is not that common. I would say 95 is a very good confident score. At least if your video is supposed to be interlaced. The story is a bit different though when your video is supposed to be progressive. In this case, a score of 95 might suggest you have some interlaced part(s) which in turn can end up being processed wrong. In the end, if you're unsure, a manual check is always better than an 100% automated one ;)

-steinar
taner

Re: Filter | Interlacing

Post by taner »

Great explanation!
Thanks!