XML sidecar and H.264

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
Dudeone

XML sidecar and H.264

Post by Dudeone »

Hello all,
I got alot of MXF DNX with XML file that are coming from a EVS X-file. To ease file transfer, I convert them in h.264 and change the name with variable User for facilitate search. But when I do that, my XML filename doesn' match anymore my H.264 filename. So, except for the filename and Timecode, I'm loosing all the metadata when I restore them with a X-file. I did try to modify existing XML filename with a workflows in FFAStrans, but it seems to only work with Static User, not with variable User.
So is there a way to generate a new XML in FFAStrans? Or maybe It's possible to modify a existing XML with FFAStrans but I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks you very much!
emcodem

Re: XML sidecar and H.264

Post by emcodem »

Hey Dudeone,

welcome to the forum and thank you for using ffastrans!
Are you able to calculate the name of your xml in the workflow, e.g. is this the name of your original xml?

Code: Select all

%s_original_path%\%s_original_name%.xml
If yes, you could rename it using a commandline proc like this:

rename "%s_original_path%\%s_original_name%.xml" "YOURNEWNAME.xml"
Alternatively, you can $read the contents of the file into a variable and use the write file processor to write the contents into a new file. But that would be like overengineered. A cmd proc with copy or rename should do it.

Alternatively you could e.g. work with a link (if ffastrans runs with elevated privileges), in a cmd processor:

cmd /C "mklink "%s_original_path%\YOURNEWNAME.xml" "%s_original_path%\%s_original_name%.xml""
Alternatively you also could use a populate proc and set %s_source% to the full xml path as seen above and after that, use a deliver processor. Note that you'd have to check "omit original filename" and set "%s_original_name%" as suffix and .xml as prefix
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
Dudeone

Re: XML sidecar and H.264

Post by Dudeone »

Hi emcodem!

I went with the "Generate Text File" Process and it work really nicely. It was easier that way to populate the new XML files names with variable User.

Thank you very much for your time.