HTTP Communicate Processor to Google Sheets

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
Ian_Grey

HTTP Communicate Processor to Google Sheets

Post by Ian_Grey »

Hi,

I saw another post on here about integrating ffastrans to slack via HTTP communicate processor and that works great which made me think if i can do the same with a spreadsheet on GSheet when it's running as a Web app.

I want to monitor a folder for any file that isn't 25fps and if it isn't the filename gets added to the next row on a spreadsheet.

I'm sure i could do this via something like Zapier but would be keen to do direct if anyone could help?
emcodem

Re: HTTP Communicate Processor to Google Sheets

Post by emcodem »

Hey Ian,

as far as i know by now, for any google API's out there, the authentification is a major problem.

https://developers.google.com/workspace ... h-overview

The type of oauth2 they use basically is dedicated to manual usage only, e.g. look at their point:

Code: Select all

[b]4. Ask for user consent:[/b]
and follow up reading point 8. (Get a refresh token) .

To sum up, as far as i understand by now, all google API's can be used in automation but it is clonky because it will stop working at some point in time and then you need manual userinteraction again to get a new access token.

Let me know your thoughts.
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
crispyjones

Re: HTTP Communicate Processor to Google Sheets

Post by crispyjones »

Slack works because they let you set up static webhook URLs, and these work great with the http communicate block in FFAStrans or the Notify action in Vantage. Slack auth/security is setup on the backend and the URLs are static, so they aren't super secure in that if someone discovers, or you post, your webhook URL somewhere than anyone can perform the functions you associated with it. Slack does mention that they periodically scan to see if your webhook URL has made it into "the wild" and will kill it if they find it. All the Google API stuff I'm familiar with requires multistep authentication, a call and response architecture instead of Slack's fire and forget. I don't think FFAStrans is suited to this level of auth complexity, but it's also a bit beyond my technical skill level.