submits URLs via WebUI to Youtube proc

Use this forum to request features. Maybe you'll get lucky!
emcodem

Re: submits URLs via WebUI to Youtube proc

Post by emcodem »

Aye Crispy, always good to hear from you!

just to reply on how to access the pretty name, i'll process the rest of the stuff later as it seems to need some reproduction on my side.

It is kind of hacky but you can access the pretty name as $s_JOB_PRETTY_NAME (instead of %s_JOB_PRETTY_NAME%) - the difference is that % variables are supported ffastrans variables and $ variables are direct source code of ffastrans. Steinar is always working on limiting the security risks and such so it might be that at some point in time after updating ffastrans, accessing $ variables dont work anymore but until that point you can use it like that.
If you use it, i am pretty sure you don't need to wrap it in double quotes (in difference to using % variables)
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
crispyjones

Post by crispyjones »

Cool, yes that works, and I can confirm quotes are not needed. I'll make a note to check this workflow when I do upgrades. Hmm, I wonder what other fun things are accessible this way :thinking:
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

crispyjones wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 pm Hmm, I wonder what other fun things are accessible this way :thinking:
Hehe thats something we have in common, i wondered the same thing and played with it but steinar was absolutely not happy about what i did, i sense he detected that this is for sure one of the most dangerous things one can do when using the workflow enigne - in the end i deleted my corresponding forum post that could lead other users to use this functionality.

It is very impressing that you found out the stuff with pretty_name, i can only lift my theoretical hat for this.

What happened in the background is that i reproduced your problem and found you are completely right that the problem is about pretty_name. unfortunately even a custom processor could not set the pretty name variable, it is kind of a very special and undocumented function in ffastrans, especially used in monitor components e.g. P2, gopro and such. They set the variable to something interesting and it is used for file delivery by default.

The direct origin of the problem is yet unclear but as don't like this unndocumented functionality and i proposed internally to redesign it to match the rest of the software, e.g. to allow users to choose pretty name from the ffastrans variables and use it in the file deliver processor by default as file name.
crispyjones

Post by crispyjones »

Well thanks for the hat tip. And a tip of the hat right back for helping build and maintain such wonderful free software. I will not press on accessing evil things via $s_xxx out of respect for what Steinar et al have created. FWIW I agree with your solution, pretty_name should just be another variable accessible, like other File variables, as %s_pretty_name% or similar.
Julian

Post by Julian »

I'm late to the party but submitting via the webinterface totally rocks! thanks for the textgenerator>url file tip :D
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

yeah, @crispyjones is the greatest!