The FFAStrans JSON-REST API

This forum is for user and admin news. Also I encourage users to share their story on how they benefit from and utilize FFAStrans.
admin
Site Admin

The FFAStrans JSON-REST API

Post by admin »

FFAStrans 0.8.2 comes with the first public JSON-REST API. It it still beta but should work. There are however a few things to be aware of:
  • The web monitor that comes with the API is REALLY very simple. Don't expect any functionality besides basic monitoring. Someone care to make it interesting...?
  • Currently you can NOT change or create workflows through the API.
  • If you run FFAStrans as a farm, the rest_service.exe can NOT run directly as a service from a unc path. This is a windows limitation. So at the moment, the only way to test and use the API as a service is if the FFAStrans share/folder is on a windows host and that the service is run from a local path.
  • Another issue is that if you run the API as a service, entering the "Dependecies"-tab might cause it to become unresponsive. In that case, you must forcefully kill the rest_service.exe task and restart it. Under normal operation this should not be a problem.
  • Documentation is sparse. The API is hopefully self describing for most developers.
Just running the rest_service.exe as a normal program should work like any other programs.

The exe itself is in the FFAStrans\Processors folder. Run it in a DOS window and follow the instructions.
You can easily navigate through the different features of the API from this url:
http://<host>:65445/api/json/v1
I urge you to install a JSON-viewer to your web browser. It will give you a good visual overview of the API. My personal choice is JSONView for Chrome.

Now, remember that this IS a beta and changes may occur without further notice. Big thanks must go to Thomas Sørensen for great guidence and help with the code.

-steinar