Media player in Webinterface

Use this forum to request features. Maybe you'll get lucky!
ArsenioV

Media player in Webinterface

Post by ArsenioV »

deleted
Last edited by ArsenioV on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emcodem

Re: Media player in Webinterface

Post by emcodem »

Hey Giacomo :)
well, what can i say, a few weeks ago i asked @momocampo what feature he wants to have next in the webui,
1) a player
2) farm controlling

He decided for farm controlling :ugeek: (just kidding Benjamin, you know) ;-)

OK, so a player on the webui is something thats really complicated but doable after all.
Let me ask you some questions @ArsenioV

Are you aware that:
1) A browser cannot access any local file, so the files would need to be retrieved via http from the client to the webinterface server
2) A browser can only play certain containers and codecs, e.g. h264, so either we can only play formats that the browser supports OR
3) the server would need to "live transcode" the played video for the browser

Usually this is done using live transcoding on the server using Graphics card encoder, e.g. Intel Quicksync or Nvidia NVENC.
The problem is that the webinterface is usually hosted on the same server where FFAStrans is running and consuming all resources. So we'd need to control how many users view videos over the webinterface at the same time.

Alternatively, we could just have a "rightclick->openin player" and open a local video player. But again, the user would need to have direct access to where the files are and at least read access to that location.

What you think?
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Damn! It is my fault.... Sorry Giacomo but I didn't know what was my favourite...
Anyway, I confirm the web interface player is in mind of our dear Emcodem 😊he never runs out of ideas!
😁
ArsenioV

Post by ArsenioV »

deleted
Last edited by ArsenioV on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Yeah i already played with the thought to just provide http access to the source files but it will not be the final solution because of the option to have 800Mbit files on the server. No worries about that, i did this stuff multiple times over the last years and i am sure that this time i will do it even better again :D But i'll finish the metrics stuff before looking into this.

Regarding help on styling, read PM :D
ArsenioV

Post by ArsenioV »

deleted
Last edited by ArsenioV on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Okay, i am working on this now and have some really promising results using mpeg-1 live encoding with vlc. Initially it might be restricted to play the first audio track and such but hey, it's a start..
I wonder what features besides the sheer play functionality could be interesting for the initial implementation?
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@ArsenioV it is done.