DVD Encoder Bugs

Here you can submit bugreports
jan2ooo

Re: DVD Encoder Bugs

Post by jan2ooo »

@emcodem

Here we go: https://file.io/TFL08prlmlfb or https://easyupload.io/m/jaxvj3 (source, ISO, workflow, snapshot)

It's just a random YT clip, but the same result.

Thank you!
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

Since you mentioned the BAT from Doom9, actually Doom9 is the home of the author of AVS to DVD (link: https://www.videohelp.com/software/AVStoDVD).
As pretty much everything that rotates around Avisynth it's free and open source.
Basically it's based on the old 32bit version of Avisynth (but it can be used with the new Avisynth+ too) and what it does is creating a script that performs Indexing and all the necessary operations to re-encode your output to either an ISO or directly the VOB files in a DVD structure.
It also allows you to choose which cover you want, the labels, and so on all the way up to the point in which you have to burn it to an actual DVD.
It's my de facto favorite software for creating DVDs and it's what I have been using over the years.
Pretty much everyone on Doom9 does too, the likes of Manolito for instance (an old member of the forum who also survived a stroke he recently had).

The idea being that for everything that it can open, you can simply use it directly, while for the files that are much newer like the HDR ones etc, you can first use FFAStrans to create an intermediate file and then feed AVS to DVD with such an intermediate file.
Don't get me wrong, FFAStrans is great, I'm in the team and I will always support it. If anything, I'm one of the biggest fan of the whole project and I will always say "hats off" to Grandmaster for creating something so reliable and amazing and you can totally use it to create DVDs out of the box, however keep in mind that - by design - FFAStrans doesn't have any external command line encoders, which means that in this case it's using the Lavc MPEG-2 encoder built into FFMpeg, which is "alright", but if you must have 100% DVD compliance as per specs, then a two pass encode with HCEnc is preferred.

My routine therefore is:

1) Take the input file
2) Create an intermediate lossless SD BT601 file in FFAStrans (I suggest the H.264 encoder with crf=0 in the custom x264 params)
3) Feed that lossless SD file to AVS to DVD to create the final MPEG-2 vob file with a DVD Structure and Metadata
4) Use the good old CD Burner XP to burn the DVD

So far this combination of FFAStrans + AVS to DVD hasn't disappointed me. :)
jan2ooo

Post by jan2ooo »

I am with you. But I need an automation. Media in, ISO out :lol: Maybe this is still possible with HC Encoder CLI, but I don't have the time right now.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@jan2ooo

Thanks a lot for the examples, it helped me very much understanding your issue.
So i tested a little bit around, analyzed the vob file and it looks like this is an issue related to vlc playback only. It was hard to see the problem first because i don't use VLC anymore at all, but looking at your screenshots i saw that you do use it.

I tried 2-3 different players and none of them including adobe premiere had any issues with the stuff. Did you actually try to burn this on dvd any play it in a dvd player?
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
jan2ooo

Post by jan2ooo »

@emcodem

Thank you very much! No, I never burned the ISO to DVD.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@jan2ooo

out of curiosity i tried an old version of vlc (1.1) where the playback of your .vob files just worked. This seconds the assumption that it's just a bug in VLC preventing correct playback.
Usually we directly submit such kind of bugs to the vendors but this time i have to skip that because i really don't use vlc anymore, it became too bulky and buggy. It is also badly documented and a nightmare for developers.
Instead of VLC i make my own players these days but for general purpose i can recommend using "mpv".

Anyway, please just go on and burn the stuff to DVD, i guess it will just work in a proper dvd player
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

emcodem wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:44 pm i can recommend using "mpv".
Yep, one of the very best player out there and what I use on a daily basis on both my Windows (work) and Linux (home). :)
jan2ooo

Post by jan2ooo »

Thank you @emcodem and @FranceBB. I will try it with another player and do a test burn.

Is there a "good" precompiled binary of mpv? Seems to be a great player.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@jan2ooo

sure, there are multiple GUIs for it but i just use the minimalistic original GUI they link on sourceforge (you just need to navigate to the /files directory on their sourceforge link)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-pl ... ows/files/

Just download the most downloaded 7z package, extract everything to one folder and start mpv.exe, no need for install.

If you need more GUI elements, you can look out for something like mpv.net...
mpv can do so much that it's overwhelming but one needs to get used to work with mpv profiles/config files