ffmpeg.exe is set to High base priority

Here you can submit bugreports
emcodem

Re: ffmpeg.exe is set to High base priority

Post by emcodem »

The guy said
submit priority can be changed by user by setting debug.submit_pri to lower than 5 in the ffastrans.json file.
and that he is enjoying his vacation :D
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

emcodem wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:35 am and that he is enjoying his vacation
:o You disturbed Grandmaster during his vacation?!
We're gonna get a pay cut, from 0.00€ per month to -1.00€ this month (i.e you gotta offer him a coffee xD)

(for those who are wondering, it's a joke, we do this for free in our spare time)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi guys :-)

The idea was to utilize windows to "pause" less important jobs but it's totally true that setting encoding with too high priority is not always such a good idea. I suggest a solution where the user can set max sub-process priority per workflow and that manual/API submit priority does not override. But I would like to keep default behavior as is for those who utilize it.

Would this be a decent solution?

-steinar
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

I stick to what i said before (because there was not yet any argument against it): i don't think that setting process priorities is useful at all since we have the pause job feature.
As it is unlikely and probably muich work do a deep change, my solution would probably be to just lower the maximum possible priority to normal. The default prio is then below normal and low is minimum.
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

But we don't pause automatically, so if pausing is the way to go then someone must always monitor the jobs and manually pause the ones of lower importance. Setting priorities on sub-processes will make all that work automatically to a fair extent. We just have to make sure it's possible to set it lower in order to not halt the system. And it might be a good idea to make the max priority high, or as your say even just normal. And don't worry about the work to implement it. It's not that much and it's not deep as we already do it ;-)

-steinar
no_connection

Post by no_connection »

I did find the override setting in the json but other projects got in the way of doing the rest of the encodes. But I have no reason to believe it would not work. As long as I can bend it to my will then I will be fine =)

For switching priority I would say jumping between below normal and low would be enough, I could not find any difference in performance anyway. And it might hurt long term performance by not picking up jobs especially with very large watch folder structures.
In my experience it's best to not have render operations be disruptive.
Imagine you had something important to run and have trouble accessing the machine to abort whatever is running atm. Setting anything higher than below normal wold imo be the advanced option. But as long as it's clear how to set it then users have the option to do whatever they think it's best. There might even be some user needing to set it high to fight *something* else being in the way, who knows.