ffprobe, media info resource usage?

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
Conniver

ffprobe, media info resource usage?

Post by Conniver »

I just wondered, when using data from e.g. %s_info_ffprobe%, does it store this data in the temp cache folder? And the next time you need some data form %s_info_ffprobe% it will retrieve from cache (in the same workflow) ? Or does it run ffprobe every time?
emcodem

Re: ffprobe, media info resource usage?

Post by emcodem »

Hi Conniver,

you can watch it either in the logs (webint), there is a checkbox called "All" on the top. If you check it, you can easily see how often there is an "Event" named ffprobe.
Basically it should only be executed when really needed, e.g. before encoding/filtering or when you access some media property variable in populate or similar or you access s_info_ffprobe. Once we have the data for a specific source file, it should only be re-executed after the %s_source% changed, e.g. after encode or if you set s_source to another value.
The data itself may more be stored in memory for re-use but you also find the results normally as file in the work folder, as a file named similar to:
SOURCENAME_1A82824CDF69CC26878C2A603642AC8D2ACAEEA9~ffprobe.json
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
Conniver

Post by Conniver »

Thanks.

My workflow need ffprobe atleast twice, once for the original, and another for the generated proxy.
Been having problem with longer videos not generating full length proxy file, and ffmpeg does not give an error.

So now i do a "manual" duration check at the end.

emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Yeah "strict" workflows are kind of a hassle with ffmpeg, let me know if you need any other help with what you do.
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?