Converting and Processing Audio

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
PA79

Re: Converting and Processing Audio

Post by PA79 »

Hi emcodem,

now I´ve got more time again.
I downloaded MrsWatson. It seems to be excactly what I´m looking for 8-)
Unfortunately, it also fails here again because of mine command skills.

I tried a few days with the commands but nothing works.
(Sorry for bugging you into helping me coding)
Do you think it´s possible to combine ffmpeg commands AND MrsWatson commands in FFAStrans?

I imagined the following Chain. I know it´s not your Software but maybe we can find a solution together :-)

Watchfolder (known)
Audio Extraction (known)
Process extracted Audio through a VST by MrsWatson (unknown how to command)
Make a 320kbps(CBR) MP3 with ffmpeg +Suffix+Timestamp as in your original code (known)

how would this Command looks like?
i can´t make sense of this commands :?
https://github.com/teragonaudio/MrsWatson

MrsWatson is installed correctly und it starts in the "cmd" (See Pic below) The Arrow marks the PlugIn I would use for the Process
I will use the 64Bit Version of MrsWatson.
(If there is a reason to use the 32Bit Version of MrsWatson because of FFAStrans that would be fine too)

Hot to store and load Presets for the VST Plugin in MrsWatson could be the next big thing :lol:

Wish you a nice Day
PA
Attachments
Watson.PNG
Watson.PNG (122.52 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
ThomasM
Site Admin

Post by ThomasM »

Hi PA,

nice idea.

So, from my point of view, what you should do is first: Copy or move MrsWhatson to your FFAStrans-folder. So you can make use of the

Code: Select all

%s_ffastrans_dir%
Variable. This is handy in the CommandExecuter-Nodes. I use this for e.g. 7zip.

Next, try to get a hardcopy or a text-file of the help-content of MrsWatson:

C:\Users\LoggedInUser\FFAStrans\MrsWatsonFolder\mrswatson64 --help > MrsWatson.txt
then, your Workflow:
Watchfolder (known)
Audio Extraction (known)
Process extracted Audio through a VST by MrsWatson (unknown how to command)
Make a 320kbps(CBR) MP3 with ffmpeg +Suffix+Timestamp as in your original code (known)
Maybe it is a good idea to Deliver the output from the previous node with a Deliver-Node. So you get an absolute Path to use in the CommandExecutor-Node: Select a Folder, Select Naming-Prefs.

To process the audio, use a CommandExecutor-Node:

%comspec% /C "
"%s_ffastrans_dir%\MrsWatsonFolder\"
mrswatson64.exe --midi-file mysong.mid --output "OutputFolder.out.wav" --plugin piano,soft.fxp
"
Also see: https://ffastrans.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... d_executor

For further processing you can "set %s_source% variable to: ["OutputFolder.out.wav"]" in the lower third of the CommandExecutor-Node for your MP3-conversion.

just my 2cents...

cheers,
tom
Last edited by ThomasM on Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThomasM
Site Admin

Post by ThomasM »

btw. The SteroTool is very, I mean VERY complex. I hope that it supports the Presets. I never tested that as I only use it as a tool on demand and never needed to use it for different presets... good luck!
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Nice @ThomasM what you wrote was very spot on!
How lucky PA is to have another ffastrans supporter using the steinberg stuff :D
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
PA79

Post by PA79 »

Hi Thomas,

no matter what i try my commands don't work. Can you give me a hint what could be the reason?

%comspec% /C ""%s_ffastrans_dir%\C:\FFAStrans\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\"
mrswatson64.exe -i "%s_source%" .mp3" --output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec% --plugin vst_stereo_tool_64"
ThomasM...are you the "LoudMax Guy"? ThomasMundt? :?:
ThomasM
Site Admin

Post by ThomasM »

Hi PA79,

no - sorry - I´m Not Thomas Mundt.

First - Try your CommandLine in the Windows built-in Commandexecutor / Shell. If the command works there, it will work in the FFAStrans-Node.

Second - Your code has a space in the Filename:

"%s_source%" .mp3"
maybe

"%s_source%"
works? And the output-Filename is also not Quoted correctly:

"C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec% --plugin vst_stereo_tool_64"
maybe

"C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec%.WAV" --plugin vst_stereo_tool_64
works?

third - try with a simple example - even with a simple Processor, not a Waveshell-based, maybe a freebee without dependencies and not the whole bunch of variables at once.

fourth - maybe use the GenerateText-Node in FFAStrans as a debugger for Variable-contents and -values. Sometimes this gives hints where to use a (s)tring or a (i)nteger variable for values.

Hope this helps... good luck!

tom
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

mrswatson64.exe -i "%s_source%" .mp3" --output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec% --plugin vst_stereo_tool_64"
as Tom says, you need to take care about the quotes. Rule of thumb is that only filepaths shall be enquoted.
For the moment, leave the comspec /C stuff out completely, it should not be needed for what you do.

So, let's dig into each and every issue:

Problem 1:

"%s_ffastrans_dir%\C:\FFAStrans\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\"mrswatson64.exe
The Variable %s_ffastrans_dir% translates to the ffastrans install dir, so in your case to C:\FFAStrans. So actually what you wrote here is this:

"C:\FFAStrans\C:\FFAStrans\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\mrswatson64.exe"
Correct would be

"%s_ffastrans_dir%\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\"
Problem 2:

-i "%s_source%" .mp3"
First you got 3 quotes for a single path here but we only need 2 quotes for a single path. "%s_source%" would translate to the file that was submitted to the workflow, say you submitted c:\temp\test.mkv. Then you have some ffmpeg commandline that creates "%s_source%.mp3" as output. Which would actually translate to c:\temp\test.mkv.mp3. If this is the case and you want to submit "c:\temp\test.mkv.mp3" to MrsWatson, the correct notation would be:

-i "%s_source%.mp3"

--output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec%
a quote is missing here at the end of the path, correct would be:

--output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec%"

--plugin vst_stereo_tool_64"
This "last quote" is only needed to close the %comspec% /C Quotes that surround the whole actual command. If we do not use %comspec% /C , we can omit this quote:

--plugin vst_stereo_tool_64
All together, we change from
to:
"%s_ffastrans_dir%\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\mrswatson64.exe" -i "%s_source%.mp3" --output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT%s_original_name%_WATSON%i_hour%_%i_min%_%i_sec%" --plugin vst_stereo_tool_64
On commandline this would translate to:
"c:\ffastrans\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\mrswatson64.exe" -i "c:\temp\test.mkv.mp3" --output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUTtest_WATSON12_20_56" --plugin vst_stereo_tool_64
And don't forget as Tom said, first get it working on commandline without ffastrans and therefore without variables, and once you got a working commandline, you replace all stuff that needs to be replaced by variables and insert it into a commandline processor in ffastrans.
PA79

Post by PA79 »

Short Update...
Many thanks to Tom and Emcodem

For testing i´m using a plugin with less Parameters (LUveler)

The Command Line Process works fine:

"C:\FFAStrans\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\mrswatson64.exe" -i "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\IN\8884.wav" --output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT\8884_EDIT.wav" --plugin LUveler64 --parameter 0,1.0 --parameter 1,0.9 --parameter 2,0.95
But when i try to set this Commands to FFAstrans it wont work. The "Status Monitor" says "succes" but there is no file in my Output Directory.
Commands for FFAstrans:

"%s_ffastrans_dir%\MrsWatson-0.9.8\Windows\64\mrswatson64.exe" -i "%s_source%.wav" --output "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\VST Host Test\OUT\%s_original_name%_WATSON.wav" --plugin LUveler64 --parameter 0,1.0 --parameter 1,0.9 --parameter 2,0.95
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Aye PA,

before i try it out, can you confirm that the input file exists, namely

"%s_source%.wav"
In other words, the file you submitted plus additional .wav, e.g. you submit test.mov and therefore "%s_source%.wav" would translate to "test.mov.wav".
It is for sure best if you just upload your workflow. Also using the webinterface is very helpful for custom commandlines because you can investigate easily there the output of your commandline.
PA79

Post by PA79 »

Hey Emcodem,

in the first Step of Converting (See pic) i just make a .WAV of any Audiofile. Because MrsWatson just can handle .WAV files.

In the second step i try to process the Converted .WAV with MrsWatson

IDK if this is the way to go.
If there is a possibility to make my Workflow in one step, that would be nice.

My Idea was:
- Convert any Audio to .WAV with ffmpeg Node
- Process the .WAV with MrsWatson -> .WAV Output
- Convert the processed Audio to mp3 320kbits CBR with ffmpeg Node
- Delete the .WAV Output of the Temp Folder (optional feature)

I wish you guys a great weekend

Edit....
wrote: before i try it out, can you confirm that the input file exists, namely
yes, that file exist. The first step in my Workflow generates a .WAV in my Folder.
The Second ("Folder TEMP") does not work
Attachments
VST Host Test.json
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Workflow_new.jpg
Workflow_new.jpg (507.42 KiB) Viewed 4807 times